The Sims of EA has been my Digital Artefact (DA) for BCM 114 which I have been working on for the past 13 weeks. I wish that in this blog post I could be telling you that over this period of time I have been consistently and ruthlessly testing, prototyping and iterating my work. However, since my last blog post Prototyping the Sims of EA I have not further iterated, or even made any attempt to contribute to my DA at all.
Though don’t get me wrong! Earlier in the process of my DA I did cyclically iterate and prototype the ‘Sims of EA,’ and solved many issues such as;
- Text length
- Content Type
- How I source my Sims
- How I collaborate with others
- My branding
- The purpose of my posts
However, due to the unavoidable circumstances of life I have not furthered my DA since my last blog post.
The reasoning as to why can be best stated through Ken Robinson’s video on ‘Flourishing’ which states that “Human life and human communities are much more like organisms in the sense that we flourish under certain conditions and we fail under certain conditions, and our success is always synergistic with our environment.”
I have taken on new challenges in my personal life this semester which has meant that I haven’t had as much time to devote to my university work. Do I regret doing this? No. As some of these decisions have become a part of the best things in my life, however, my DA has definitely suffered from it.
Two solutions to solving this problem which I discussed in my Beta presentation for this project included;
- Consistent Upload Schedule
I desperately needed a better time management system. By creating a consistent upload schedule (as opposed to no upload schedule at all) perhaps would have given me some stability in the project and may have encouraged me to stick with it.
2. I Needed a Team
Turning the ‘Sims of EA’ into a group project sharing the workload, and having others to hold me accountable to the project would have been very beneficial to me.
It is true what Ken Robinson claims, passion does change everything. Even though I mentioned many excuses before as to why this project failed such as being busy, and not having team mates to contribute to the work load and help keep me accountable, I think that the main reason is that I just lost passion for my project. But that’s okay too.
For this type of project failing is just as good of a result as a success IF you learn from it, and can apply the learning curves to your future work. For example, from this project I have learned that;
- I really enjoyed the creative, storytelling part of my DA, and that I could do it quickly and easily.
- I need to make a schedule for uploads and work hours and to stick to because I have a busy life and like having a busy life. Without giving myself deadlines I will forget about my work, or see it as not as important as other things that I do have deadlines for.
- Working on solo projects is very hard for me. As an extrovert I get my energy being around other people, and therefore I can very easily get motivated in group settings.
- Finally, I have learned that sometimes working as a part of a group, and relinquishing some control of my ‘precious ideas and vision’ will have much better effects in the long run of a project.